(Oh, and I say "January Sales" as opposed to "July Sales" -- they really only have 2 sales times a year, and everyone has "huge" (hah!) sales in January and July).
The shops here are all in the Guildford town centre, there isn't a mall to browse around in (and stay warm and dry!), so shoppers have to walk up and down the High Street. And since we live close enough to walk, you might think I would be shopping more often! But, no. I just can't bring myself to do it!
People said that after a short time I would stop converting pounds to dollars and I would adjust to the economy here...well, that's never happened. (which is probably for the best!) I might think "This green and pink polka-dot sweater is a steal at £26.99! I should snap it up right now!!"...but then the calculator in my brain fires up and says "Hold it, Blondie. If you were in America, would you seriously pay Fifty dollars for that? Fifty? Really? I didn't think so." and I put it back. Of course it is easier for the Calcu-Brain to over-rule the weaker side of me when it's a green and pink polka dot sweater, and when the bargain isn't really a bargain! But since I am an absolute sucker for a good deal, I got drawn into a new store (Phase Eight) the other day. I don't usually shop at this store because (a) it's just too expensive, (b) I don't live the lifestyle that the clothes are designed for, and (c) The Gap clothes fit almost every part of me and my life! :) But there it was in the window...The Pretty Dress. It's called "Beth" and they had it in red or black. The original price was £120, but it was on clearance for £32...and when the Calcu-Brain whirred into gear, Weak-Me was able to convince it that, yes, if I was in America, I would spend $60 on this dress! $200? No. But I would pay $60. So, thank goodness for the January Sales! (And maybe, just maybe, I'll keep my eye on Phase Eight because they seem to have plenty of pretty dresses made just for me!)
Now all I have to do is find The Event to wear this dress to!
(I bought it in black)
Grant and I visited England last January (he was there for TDY) so, being the bargain shopper that I am, I quickly learned of the sale season. I didn't really find too much in my budget, though. But I found a pretty cool fruit basket in Notting Hill that I'm very proud of!
ReplyDeleteoh, by the way...LOVE the dress! and what a great price!
ReplyDelete