It's hard to believe that it's been one year since we moved back to America. What a blur! And it's even harder to believe that it's been 4 years since I got on that plane and moved to the other side of the planet in the first place.
Four years!! Gosh. :o) (Look for some flashback posts starting in a few days.)
When we first moved to England, I was emailing my insights and observations to family and friends. Long. Emails. That took me hours to write. Ugh, what a burden! Which could explain why I eventually stopped sending them! That, and the newness kinda wore off. :o) If only I'd known about blogging way back then! If only.
Tonight I got to be a part of putting some friends on a plane to the other side of the planet. My friend Jen, her husband, and daughter are on a plane at this very moment on their way to Wellington, New Zealand for an adventure all their own. Her husband is going there to work for a year, and Jen and Maddy are just going to live it up and explore and experience Wellington, and New Zealand for all it's worth!
Kelly and I were hoping to see them one last time before they left. I've had so much fun these last few months, out on our "play dates." Picnicking with the mowers in the background. :o) But, alas, things didn't work out as we had all planned (ahem), and Kelly couldn't go to meet them, so it was just Mookie and me. After a few, um, detours we all got to the same place, and Jen and I got a few extra minutes to hang out
There's quite a lot about my Big Move four years ago that I don't remember, but what I do remember is (some of) the many times I completely freaked out. And my complete lack of grace, and poise, and composure when I was dealing with anything move related. I was a real nut job!
But Jen? Uh uh. She was a cool cucumber. Even in the midst of leaping over hurdle, after hurdle, after even bigger hurdle, she was very composed. :o) I'm sure she's disagreeing with me right now...but from where I sat, she really had it all together.
Her behavior and composure gently reminded me of how we are called to be. In the midst of trials, we are to call on God, and trust completely in Him to take care of everything. And she was doing that. And God was just working things out for her left, right, and center. God really is amazing. :o) I am SO incredibly prone to freak out in the first instance, and then think about my actions, and asking for help from that mighty God we serve. You've seen that adage that says "When all else fails, pray"? Yeah. That seems to be my creed.
But not Jen.
I wish her joy and peace and wonder and excitement and awe and fantabulous memories made as she and her family experience life in New Zealand. I will miss her, and Miss Maddy Sweet Cheeks. But over this next year, I hope I look back on this day and remember her character most of all. And maybe, just maybe, when she moves back, I can be a little more like her.
May God bless you richly, my friend. We'll see you soon!
oh i'm so sad she's gone! i feel so removed from her even though i haven't lived near her in about ten years. it's as if a piece of me has been sent postage paid to another planet. but i guess there's always emails and cell phones and blogs. still, it's never the same :(
ReplyDeleteNope, it's never the same. I agree. I've got lots of pieces of my heart scattered all over the globe and am forever trying to do a better job of keeping in touch with them.
ReplyDeleteWho knows, maybe she'll blog more! :o)
blog more haha!
ReplyDeleteso i don't know who this jen is you speak of...composure? what? i think i'm still hyperventilating...
ps the cookies were yummy
pps you are amazing
ppps new zealand is pretty amazing too