Friday, April 11, 2008

Well, I Never!

Today was a day I did something I have never done before.

Well, two things, actually.

One, I know I will do again, and I have been tempted to do in the past, but never felt right. Or worthy. Or bad enough.

The other? Well, I just never wanted to. And I don't know if I really wanted to this time, either, it just seems to make some sense. And I hope it turns out like I intend it to work out. Otherwise, I'll have proved myself right. Or will I prove myself wrong? Huh, I've confused myself. (not hard, I know)

Curious?

Both occurred at my local Target store.

Does that help?

Probably not, since most of my adventures of late occur at my local Target store!

Okay, enough delay.

The first "never before" (and, oh boy, it really made a difference!) was that I used one of the "Rascal" mobility scooters to get around the store while I did my shopping. Normally I am hunched over the handle of the cart after being in the store for about 8 minutes. No one told me that shopping would wear me out while pregnant. Shame on you for with-holding that critical piece of information! Well, anyways...you will be pleased to know that I did not run into any people, and I maneuvered through the aisles just fine. The only time I had a problem was when I was trying to turn beside one of the racks of baby clothes, and I caught my wheel on it's wheel, and, well, I was being followed by a clothes rack for a few feet before I stopped and realigned everything. :o) I'm sure the guys watching the security cameras got a kick out of that! My only disappointment was finding out how slow they go. I wanted to go fast! At least faster than if I was walking in my current state of un-grace! All in all, it was a really good thing. This baby of mine does not seem to like shopping, and makes my life difficult when I must shop.

The second "never before" stems from a recent sleeping (and non-sleeping) trend of mine. It seems that my belly is no longer willing to tolerate waistbands. The belly doesn't like them at all. Two feet wide, surround the bump? Nope. Millimeters wide, underneath the bump? Uh uh. This is just not cool because, well, I'm kinda a modest person, and prefer to wear clothes. When I'm sleeping, this includes shorts or long-pants, to be exact. Now, during the day, I can situate my shorts or pants in a way that's moderately comfortable because, well, I'm conscious. At night? Not so good. I wake up way too frequently as it is, I don't need more interruptions to readjust my waistband! Sheesh! I've pretty much always been a pajama's kind of girl. I know I had nightgowns when I was a kid, but once I started making my own sleeping-attire decisions, they always involved two pieces. One on top, and one on bottom. With legs. I guess I'm a fidgety sleeper, because nightgowns always ended up around my neck, or twisted 4 times around my body. And I would have got get up out of bed to rearrange my nightgown before I could get back into bed to finish sleeping. So, I have come to a point of dilemma. I, being the modest one, must wear something to sleep in. (Make whatever comments you like, think whatever you want...this is just the way I am wired.) Do I continue wearing pj's that irritate my belly? Or do I venture into the land of nod wearing an actual nightgown? Well, today at Target, I drove my little Rascal through the...um...nightwear? department, and came to a rack of nightgowns that I thought I might could tolerate. And I wanted one that would continue to grow with me. And I wanted one that was (maybe?) long enough to not end up around my neck 13 minutes after I go to sleep. And I wanted one that I thought was pretty. And I wanted one with a particular kind of bodice layout. And I wanted one that wasn't too expensive. And I wanted one that... :o) Whew! I found a couple that I liked, and tried them on. One was not so good, and the other one looked like a pretty dress. That I could wear out (with a slip, mind you!). And it met all my other criteria.

So, today, for the first time in all my adult days, I purchased a nightgown.

And I put it in my little Rascal scooter.

And went on my merry way.

Tomorrow? It's a beach party. And the weather looks fab. F. A. B. Mmm...gotta love southern California!

2 comments:

  1. I've been the same about buying sleepwear, because I also throw in, "And will it be easy for me to nurse in after he's born?" which is a whole other ball of wax. I hope your nighttie works out well for you! My waist hasn't been too finicky so far, but The Girls are driving me nuts not wanting anything touching them - and I can't go topless! Sheesh.

    Have a great beachparty. I'm tempted to call you a bad name out of jealous spite, but I'll refrain.

    xoxo - M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you rode a scooter around target! I was never so brave, I just walked really really really slow. it made for a nice long target visit. and lots of people staring at me to see if i could make it to the next rack!

    ReplyDelete