Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Up the Road to SB

Dave and I picked the rainiest weekend of the year to take a road trip, but it was really good to get away.

We beat the LA traffic out of town, and up the 101 to Santa Barbara in time to check into our hotel, and get our bearings before venturing out for the evening. Turns out the Santa Barbara International Film Festival was starting that night, so we hoped we might see a celeb, or two, but no such luck. We planned to have dinner and go see a movie, but the paper had the times wrong, so I still haven't seen 27 dresses. :-( I will say, however, that dinner was OUTstanding! We went to a Japanese restaurant, and Dave had sushi while I had yakitoris. I did have one California roll, and left all the raw fish to him. Ew. So, since we missed the movie time, we went back to our stormfront beachfront hotel, which had a fireplace in it and played some Trivial Pursuit.

On Saturday, we drove up into the wine country. The clouds held off till about 2pm, so we had some beautiful views. This picture is of one of the Bridlewood Vineyard where Dave enjoyed himself a sip, or two (and I enjoyed a cracker, or two!).

Then Saturday afternoon Dave did some napping while I did some shopping in the overpriced Santa Barbara shopping lanes. I went into one jewelry store, and felt like I walked back in time 20 years! Take a peek at these earrings...did you have a pair (or 6) like me?

The weather turned really sour on Saturday night and through Sunday (as evidenced below). About 30 seconds after we took this shot on Stearns Wharf the heavens opened up and poured down crazy rain. We got into the car and headed home - not even waiting around for lunch!

All in all, I'm glad we went. Maybe we'll get to go back. On a sunny day.

2 comments:

  1. 27 dresses was sooo good and such a great ending. it's a great "go out with the girls" movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we took a little weekend trip to santa barbara just about nine months ago.... :)

    ReplyDelete