Thursday, December 3, 2009

And I say "Jooko, Lord."

As you may know, we've been using sign language with Mookie since she was about a year old. After reading another mom's blog about how well her daughter was picking up the signs, I followed her lead and bought the Baby Signing Time DVDs. And they ROCK!! Rock, rock, rock.

Mookie has been signing fabulously since we started (a bit slow to start, but sped up like crazy after a short time). She babbles her baby babble all the time, and she has her discernable words, too, of course (and picking up more and more and more and more every day!). But, seriously, I love that she learned sign language. It's been really great for both of us. One good reason is that it has allowed her to communicate with me when she wanted something, or when she saw something (bird, bus, dog, etc.). Another good reason is that I think she has learned words that I might not have thought to teach her yet. Like potty, and wash hands, and please and thank you. Teaching her sign language has forced me to communicate more actively with her rather than simply let her absorb her surroundings, which might have been my tendancy had we not bought the Signing Time DVDs.



It has also forced me to start teaching her manners before I probably would have naturally, too. Somewhere I read that babies don't get the concepts of please, thank you, and share until they are over 2 years old. So, if we didn't have these DVDs, I wouldn't even think to start it for another 6 months.

But...

She knows to say (speak and/or sign) "please" when she wants something, and she will sign "thank you" when I prompt her to thank someone (or me) for giving her something she wants. Now, I'll admit, her "thank you" looks a lot like she's blowing kisses, but, seriously, aren't they about the same thing? I mean, heck, we're talking about a really cute 18-month old baby here! You take all the "thank yous" and blown kisses you can get! :o)

And this morning, she absolutely WOWed me. Out of the blue. WOW!!

In the mornings, after she wakes up, she usually has milk and we sit and read books for a little while. Well, this morning, she saw an apple in the fridge, and asked for "apple, please."  To which I quickly replied, "Of course I'll give you fresh fruit, my child. Please wait here while I cut some for you." (or...something close to that!).  And after I handed her the first sliver, here is an account of our conversation.

Mookie:  "Jooko."
Me: "Jooko?? What does jooko mean??"
Mookie: "Jooko!"  (as she signed "thank you")
Me: "Oh, you're welcome. I love you, Doll!"  (as I hugged her and simultaneously melted)

I can't even begin to imagine how much God must love me to bless me with this child. She is beyond amazing to me. I didn't grow up around many babies, and I didn't grow up hearing many good things about babies, so I didn't really have a ton of great expectations when I had Mookie. Not that I expected her to be awful and wretched and annoying and spoiled and stuff, but I guess I just didn't know that it was possible to have a child as wonderful as I do. Honestly, I always felt like it was a bit of a lottery - good parents get good kids, good parents get bad kids, bad parents get good kids, bad parents get bad kids. And while I know that we've got a lot of years ahead of us, and it's not always going to be easy, I really believe that God has blessed Dave and me with an amazing gift.

And every night as I put Mookie into her bed, I thank God for her, and I pray that He will help me to raise this gift and blessing to be the woman that He wants her to be.

I know to the very core of my being that I could not do this without Him.

2 comments:

  1. That might be the sweetest post ever! She does sound like a little blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWWW! So cute! I love those first little words they use. Bean's thank you was DEHT-DOO. I can still hear it in my mind and it always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete