Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Party Like A Guac Star!

"Going green" is quite en vogue these days. Recycle this, reuse that. Cut down here. Use less there. Today, though? Going green is all about the guac.

September 16th is National Guacamole Day!

Woot woot!

According to Wholly Guacamole (and Reuters), here are some great reasons to eat more guac (like you need more, right?)
  • It's rich in history. Originally reserved only for the wealthy and kings, guacamole was invented by the Aztecs as a nutritious snack.
  • Skinny Jeans. The "good fats" in avocados effectively reduce cholesterol levels. Three tablespoons of all-natural guacamole with a handful of carrots has 94 calories -- that's less than a cup of low-fat milk!
  • It fights cancer. Researchers at Ohio State University's Comprehensive Cancer Center say that avocados have cancer fighting power against oral, prostate and possibly other types of cancer.
  • Avocados have more natural protein than cow's milk or a steak. ("Natural" = not denatured)
  • Avocados are nicknamed alligator pears.
  • Avocado trees produce up to 400 fruits a year.
  • Shop early! Cinco de Mayo, Fourth of July, Super Bowl Sunday and Easter each account for approx. five percent of annual avocado sales. (Easter? Really? 'Splain that to me, please!)
  • Guacamole's so popular it celebrates two Food Holidays --today, and Spicy Guacamole Day, November 14!
SO...enjoy the celebrations! I'll be celebrating with a chip in both hands. :o)

Put your hand upon my chip. When I dip, you dip, we dip.

1 comment:

  1. I just marked Nov. 14 on my calendar. Seriously, I did. I love guac. Thanks for the cheery post!

    ReplyDelete