Tonight I was going through my folder of photos of Mookie, slowly (ever so slowly) uploading them to Flickr. (sigh). I got Birth Day loaded, and then I was glancing through Week 1. Oh my goodness. She was SO little! And so cute! And she made tiny little motions, and she made tiny little noises, and her arms and face and nose and toes were all so very tiny! And it's only been 4 months! Sheesh! Thank goodness for digital cameras and video cameras, right? Now we no longer have to rely on our own brains to remember those very important details! (Wait...is that really a good thing?)
Anyways, I don't think I shared this before. It's a brief (way too brief) video of Mookie on Day 2 while she was in her little hospital bassinet. I was rubbing her tummy while she made the sweetest little tiny girl sounds. She reminds me of a baby bird. :o)
Watching it now breaks my heart, and brings tears to my eyes. As a day-old Mama, I didn't know that her little cry was because she was hungry. There's another short video a couple of minutes later where Dave is stroking her head and I'm rubbing her tummy. On the one hand, I love it because Dave's hand is so big compared to her little head...but on the other hand I can't put it up here because she's crying louder because she's hungry and I'm so clueless that I'm shooting video instead of feeding my child. I want to go back to that moment. Can I get a do-over? :o)
I am so thankful that I get 6-7 do-overs each day. :o) I am so thankful that she is a healthy, and vibrant little girl. And while I desperately want to go back to that moment and feed her, I know that I cannot. I can only learn from it and move forward.
I need to remember to pay attention to her in the moment, in the right now...and not try to capture the moment on the camera for "later". Later. What is later? Later is a thief, stealing my moments with my sweet baby girl.
And I need to remember to be still with her and with God. I don't want to be too busy dancing and reading and singing and walking and rolling over and giggling and teaching that I miss what God is trying to teach me. And what He is trying to cultivate and create in and through me for her.
And I hear that baby bird chirping for a do-over now. Good night! :o)
you are one smart momma... can i steal that last paragraph and tape it to my forehead? thanks!
ReplyDelete