Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wha'd She Say?

I know I haven't posted any video of Mookie lately, so today's the day. It's long (almost 2 minutes), so I suspect only family will want to sit through that long...but it's cute, too. :o) I was trying to get her to say something...and she finally did. Oh, and sorry for the poor videography and poor lighting. I'm an amateur who lives (and records) in the moment. Hope you enjoy it!



*Edited to Add -- In the comments, you'll see that Megan noticed Mookie make the ASL sign for "cat." And you can see that I disagreed with her. And then you'll see that I retracted me disgreement, and agreed with Megan, that, YES, Mookie is, in fact, signing!  Yay Mookie-licious! She's the Amazing Mookster! :o) 
If you watch closely, at about 1:28 seconds, Mookie brings her hand to her mouth and makes a motion that is similar to the sign for "cat" and is nothing  like anything else she does. It isn't perfect, by any means, but it's a start! :o)  

5 comments:

  1. And she signed "Cat" too! Such a smartie that child is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I think she was just wiping boogers all over her face. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I take that back about wiping boogers on her face. I think Megan is right! I've rewatched the video, and after Mookie says "cat", (at about 1:29-1:35) she brings her hand to her face, and it looks like she makes (her version of) the ASL sign for "cat." I thought she was just waving her hand in front of her mouth, but really, she's making a motion that isn't like any other she does. It is also possible that I was signing "cat" behind the camera, and she was mimicking me, but I can't remember.
    Megan is ALSO right in her assessment that Mookie is a smartie. :o)
    Thanks for pointing it out to me, Megan! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, so glad I went back and saw this. Richie is doing "baby signing time" too! Is that what you're using to teach ASL? We got the DVDs when we were in the US and he started watching them with me at about 6.5 months and I think he's getting them. He gets excited when I sign "eat" and he just started opening and closing his fists for "milk" or maybe he's just playing with his hands. He loves our kitty too so I'm sure that sign may be next. Very exciting to see those synapses firing, no?

    ReplyDelete