Saturday, February 7, 2009

Petunia Pickle What?

I need help.

I need some validation.

I need some encouragement.

From someone other than Dave, who, bless him, doesn't seem to understand that a diaper bag can do more for a new mom than just carry diapers... :o)

See, Saturday, I had to go to TJ Maxx for an undergarment, and as I walked in the door, there was a small rack with a handful of Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags. Did you hear angels singing the Hallelujah Chorus at about 2:15 MST?

Because, have you seen these bags? The fabric, it is dreamy. It is yummy. It requires and demands that you touch it. The accents are perfect. Bold, yet understated. Contemporary, yet classic. The bag, no matter the style, somehow leaps onto your shoulder and begins to bond with you.

And, above said rack was a sign that said $59.99. I've only ever seen PPB bags for $100 or more on sale. So, $60? For a PPB bag? Hello! Come on over here and bond with me, baby.
And, also? I've been kinda thinking that I needed a larger diaper bag now that Mookie is getting larger, and requires more, and larger, things. So, not only are they GORGEOUS, but one of these heavenly, discounted delights might also fill an need? That, my friends, sounds like justification. Pure, unadulterated, justification.

So, The Bag and I bonded as Mookie and I wandered throughout the store. Periodically, I would take it off my arm and just, you know, gaze at it. Muse over how the fluorescent store lighting brought out the delicate undertones of the brocade. And, yes, convince myself that everything in my current diaper bag will, in fact, fit into this beauty.

Feast your eyes upon this piece of creative genius.

Whadya think? Lovely, no?

Needless to say, I decided that (a) I could afford it, and (b) I need it. I've been coveting the PPB bags for quite a few months, but never felt like (a) I could afford a $100 bag, or (b) I really need it. :o)  But for $60, I thought I'd at least bring it back to the hotel room and move my current diaper bag contents into it to see, once and for all, that it meets all of my requirements and deserves my love and admiration.

BUT...guess what happened when I got it out of the TJ Maxx bag? I looked at the tag, and noticed that, instead of a 5, there was a 4...so I got that bag, that little slice of heaven up there, for $49.99. FIFTY dollars!! The angels were definitely singing then!

And I began the daunting task of trying to extract encouragement and justification from Dave (who really doesn't care). And at about the same time I began the equally daunting task of trying to coerce the contents from my old diaper bag to fit into the new diaper bag.

And they acquiesced. Mostly. I don't think I need a burp cloth. Nor do I need 5 diapers. 3 diapers is plenty, right? (I've got more stashed in the car)  Sadly, the Moby doesn't fit into the new bag. No amount of coersion will make that happen. Unless I don't put other stuff in there. And don't zip it shut. :o) 

Also, full? The bag does not leap quite as easily onto my shoulder as it did when it was empty.

Dang.

See my dilemma? $50 for a bag that, while stunningly beautiful and unique, is not large enough to hold everything I want it to hold. Also, as Mookie gets bigger and requires more, and bigger, things...this bag will be less and less practical. (However, it will easily transition from being a diaper-carryer to a regular handbag one day)

What do you think? I've left the tags on it. Should I keep The Bag, or should I return it so that it can go make someone else's heart happy?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like buyer's lament... is that what it's called? You're in love with it in the store, but once you get it home... well, it isn't quite so great anymore. I say take it back... it's not exactly what you wanted after all... and all that justification of it fitting larger things for a larger Mookie... well, they don't really work anymore. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. take it back! take it from someone who is on their 3rd or 4th diaper bag, and STILL not happy with it, don't spend $50 on a bag that doesn't fit essentials.

    yes, it's a great deal, and yes, it's super cute, but you might end up really hating it later, trying to SQUEEZE that last thing in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so much to say about this, but the short version is for that price keep it! You can always find a use and a need for diaper bags of different sizes :-) Thoes colors are really cute also! It will be great to have the hanging option for the stroller, that is an essential feature in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep the bag. As she gets older, she'll actually require fewer things if you're just out running errands for a few hours. One or two diapers, some wipes, a sippy cup, a baggie of cheerios and a small toy or two and you're done. Seriously. With Bean, I shed the diaper bag and was back to a doctor bag purse by the time she was 18 mos. (I never even took a diaper with me because she wasn't much of a wetter and she wouldn't poop unless she was at home.) If you're going to be out for a DAY or something, you're gonna need more than a diaperbag anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say take it back. You can use that $50 for another bag that you'll be able to use now that will fit your needs. Watch ebay for another PP bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with "embee" to take it back for a bag that will work for now. Also agree with Kelly.Although it has been 36 years since I carried a diaper bag--I don't recall ever having more than one. Maybe they were made better bak in the old days:)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete