Mookie doesn't really like "tummy time." At all. She almost always cries and whines and complains and generally acts like she's miserable. Even if I am there next to her cheering her on, telling her how beautiful she is, how strong she is, how proud of her I am, etc.
Every third blue moon, she'll fall asleep on her tummy. I watch her, of course, so as to avoid SIDS in my home, but she sleeps so soundly that I just keep an eye on her and remain close by so that when she wakes up, I'm there.
Yesterday was one of those moons. It might have looked like a regular old full moon to you, but it was blue over our house!
And I know how much she hates tummy time, but I also know how important it is for her physical development. So I put her on her tummy at least once a day, and tell her I'm gonna do it before I roll her over.
Today I put her on her tummy, and she started to complain immediately. So I told her to put her hands up by her head and turn to look the other way if she was bored. AND SHE DID!!! :o) Such a good, obedient girl, right? Gotta love her. :o) And I, of course, told her how wonderful/strong/brilliant/terrific/stupendous she is, and how proud of her I am. She started to complain again, but I wanted to type a quick email to Kelly and Jen. So I was sitting 12 inches from her, and suddenly I realized that she had stopped complaining...so I looked down, and she was ON HER BACK! Looking all kinda proud of herself! She clearly doesn't like tummy time. I think she said something like, "I'm gonna do what I want, Mama. And I don't wanna do tummy time so I'm rolling over."
I was, of course, so excited and proud of her that I didn't run to get the camera, but instead I picked her up and gave her tons of hugs and kisses and told her about 4,000 times how proud of her I am. I got the video camera and tried to get her to roll over again, but all she did was whine and complain louder and louder and louder.
I see more and more every day that she is going to be her own girl, and operate by her own rules, and in her own time. I'm glad she rolled over this time, and I kinda suspect it will be another month before she does it again...and maybe I'm a little glad for that!
We're off to walk to the store to get some milk and some bananas. It's a gorgeous afternoon in southern California. I hope your Sunday afternoon is going just as sunnily as ours is.

that is exactly how the Madster was with tummy time! she hated it so much, she cried like she was dying. and she never ever slept on her tummy. just the other day she fell asleep on her belly and woke up screaming bloody murder 10 minutes later!
ReplyDeleteMatty HATED tummy time! I think he learned how to roll over solely to get out of being on his tummy. :-)
ReplyDelete