Saturday, July 7, 2007

Rhodes -- Day 6 (Friday)

(The Lindos Acropolis)

It makes it a lot easier to remember which day of the trip we're on since we started our trip on the 1st! :o) I seriously have not had a clue what day it was this entire trip! Normally I'm okay, but this trip has been a jumble the entire time! Is it Sunday? Is it Monday? When is Tuesday? Now it's Saturday, but I wish it was Wednesday (...a few more days in Greece, get it?)

Friday. Well, we'd stayed out kinda late the night before, and I never was much of a party-girl, so when 9:00 came around, I didn't want to get up! But there was a rumble in my belly, and I knew I had to eat something, so we went down and had the hotel breakfast (which was very well-stocked!), then went back up to the room and fell asleep again! I don't know how late Dave slept, but I slept till about 1:00 in the afternoon and only got up because I knew that if I kept on sleeping, I'd sleep the whole day away! So, we got up, went across the street to Pappa L's shop and met Mrs. L. She's a typical Greek mother - her whole life revolves around her family, and her friends and neighbors. She's very sweet and caring. :o) They're good peeps. Dr L showed up shortly thereafter, and took us for a day-time drive. This time we went down to Lindos, which is about 30 miles south of the town of Rhodes. It is famous for its beaches, and for the Acropolis that is there. We took a picture of it, but it was 90* at the base of it, and you have to walk up...and we were thinking it would probably be more than 100* at the top, so we passed. Yes, I love sunshine. I would much rather be warm than cold...but a girl has her limits! :o) Maybe next time. :0)
(Dave and Mel in front of Lindos Acropolis)
After the Acropolis, we drove down to Dr L's favorite beach -- Tsambika Beach. This was a gorgeous beach! The sand was actually sand (and not grit), the water was warm and inviting, we were in a bay, so the waters were very calm. It was a warm afternoon, but we had umbrellas and sea water, so we were all fine. (Here's a picture of how much Dave was enjoying himself!)
We stayed for a couple of hours, then Dr L wanted to take us to his favorite hide-away: the Seven Springs. It's a "mountainous" region of the island of Rhodes, and it reminded Dave and me of Colorado. Very much so! There were pine trees everywhere, sparce open areas, and then, of course, the cold, spring water. Other than the strange language and the strange food...we felt like we were home! :o)

After that, we walked through a water tunnel about 500 meters long that is part of the drainage system for the spring water, but was built originally for the Italian troops that occupied the Island during WWII. They intended to use it as an escape route. Frankly, I hope the soldiers weren't much bigger than me, because there wasn't much room! And we were ankle deep in spring water the entire time! It was cold, but after the first minute or so, I was fine.

Then we drove back to our hotel and were supposed to go out with Dr L and his girlfriend for a drink. It was about 8:30, but by the time we got back to Pappa L's store (at 9:00), Dr L said that they were going to have to wait till after midnight to go out (why?!), and wondered if we wanted to wait that long! Heck No!! We decided to have some ice cream instead. Pappa L was so funny! At the mention of ice cream, he and Dr L had some words, then Pappa L hopped on his little scooter and raced off. Dave and I weren't sure what was going on! He came back about 10 minutes later with a little white bag filled with the yummiest ice cream I've had in a while!! I can't remember what they called it, but it was vanilla and had a Greek pastry blended in. It wasn't baklava, but it was close. And, boy oh boy was it good! Pappa L said he was going to get in trouble with the missus, but it was worth it! :o) We promised to hide the evidence.

After that we left Dr L to his midnight drinks, and we went to the Internet cafe for a little while, then back to our room for a good night's sleep.

We fly home tonight, and don't get into the airport in London until 4:50 am. That's A.M. :-( This does not make me happy! But I will just try to sleep on the plane, and sleep all day tomorrow when we get home! I promise to upload all the pictures from our trip tomorrow.

Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment