Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Kos Island -- Day 4 (Wednesday)

Happy July 4th to everyone!

We are in our last day in Kos. Dave is now officially on vacation. :o)

This morning we had a late start (planned it that way considering Dave's late end to yesterday!), we had breakfast in the hotel, and then he and Dr L went to the conference and I began planning my day around the best sunshine. I tried for a little while to tan on our balcony, but as the Earth was rotating, my little patch of sunshine kept getting smaller and smaller, so I had to give it up. :( I really liked being so close to my stuff, and having the peace and quiet of being alone. Oh, well. We all have to make sacrifices, right? So then I got dressed and went to the shop down the street to get a Coke and buy our ferry tickets back to Rhodes for Thursday morning. As I was out, though, I realized that I didn't have my Visa card! After a moment of panic, I remembered that the last time I'd used it was yesterday in a store up the street where I bought Dave a watch. I quickly went back to the store, and I showed the man my ID and told him that I'd left it there. He said he had scolded his father for not giving it back to me yesterday! :( Poor guy! They don't use/accept Visa in very many places here, so I was surprised that the man took it yesterday in the first place...and for his son to get mad at him for not giving it back to me made me feel bad! :( It was my fault, my responsibility, not his! What surprised me even more, though, was how he planned to deal with it if I didn't return! He said he was going to give it to the police and ask them to try to find me! How could they have done that? I suppose the police can find out lots of things, but I was just really surprised! I expected him to have called Visa and turned it in as lost, and them to cancel it! Oh, well, crisis averted. I guess that's one of the many good things about being in such a small place. :o)

I bought the tickets for our ferry, and went back to the hotel. This time (rather than walking 15+ minutes to the not-so-friendly beach), I decided to try out the pool at our hotel.

Here's my current favorite recipe:
1. Slather 1/4 - 1/2 cup of sunscreen to pasty-white skin.
2. Place in warm, but breezy location.
3. Bake, flipping every 10 minutes for even browning.
4. Rinse periodically.
5. Relax.

Enjoy! :0)

So, I spent about 2 hours by the hotel pool, then went up to the room to get ready to go to Dave's presentation. After my shower, I found that they were showing the 1995 BBC version of Sense and Sensibility, and I was sucked in! Unfortunately, I didn't get to the end (who does Elinor marry?!) (Who does Marianne marry?) because I had to leave to get to Dave's presentation. Dang, I'll just have to read the book! :(

I got there in plenty of time, and heard him give his presentation. Maybe I'm biased, and I only heard 2 other presentations, but I think he sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and presented his paper very well. He was very astute and didn't leave much time for questions (you know, leave 'em hungry for more...), and after he sat down, he put his arm around me and said "My vacation starts...now." :o) Good for him! He deserves to melt like I have been!

We left the conference center and put our stuff back at the hotel, and then ventured off for the evening. Our first stop was a celebratory Pistachio Shake for Dave (and a chocolate shake for me). Then we went to Hippocrates's Tree and took pictures. Hippocrates was born in Kos.



Next we wandered to the internet cafe, and I can't write much more because I'm actually real-time! :0) I've never blogged real-time on vacation before! Gosh! I better quit while I'm ahead! :0)

We're gonna go find some grub now, and then we take an early ferry to Rhodes tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures. Regardless, I'll be taking lots.

Oh, and I'll protect my money while on the ferry. :0)

Have a great day!

Here's Dave enjoying his 8th or 9th bowl of Pistachio ice cream in about 4 days. Gotta love him, he's so predictable. Never one to waste time learning facts and information that will come in handy someday, he knows how to say "thank you" and "pistachio" in Greek.

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome posts, Mel -- keep it up! And yes, please secure all your valuables :-o

    ReplyDelete
  2. The family has all had a chuckle about losing the money!

    I'm enjoying my visit to Greece vicariously:)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete