We went first to the Fountain of Trevi, which has legends associated with throwing coins over your shoulder...but when we were there, they had drained it, and men in bright orange trousers were walking around it! I got a few water-free photos...and orange-pant-free, too! (photo deleted)
Next we walked to the Spanish Steps.
We took some pictures there, though. (photo deleted) It was a beautiful morning. We've been very fortunate with the weather. VERY! I didn't know (and I am deeply saddened) that there was great shopping around the Spanish Steps. I obviously had my History Radar going, and not my Shopping Radar. Darn!
After the Spanish Steps we walked to the Pantheon. Very simple, but considering that it has withstood the test of time, and remained standing since it was built in 125A.D. Yes, that's 1.2.5. That's 1882 years old! Gosh!
Then we walked through the Piazza Navonna...(photo deleted) and on our way to the Vatican. We got there about 12:30, and stood in line for 1.5 hours to see the top of href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter">St. Peter's Basilica.
I climbed about 300 stairs to the level that was 2nd-from-the top, and Dave climbed another 200 to get to the top. By the way, my calves were screaming after our Cinque Terre walk! Or maybe I should say they were shrieking! Maybe a little "hair of the dog that bit ya" for a cure?? Not so. Darn!
Anyways, we got to the top, saw the frescoes, which were beautiful. (photo deleted)
I guess the wait and the steps were worth it! When we went back down, we walked through St. Peter's Basilica, which is very ornate...which it should be, because this is where the Pope holds Mass!
On our way out, we asked how to get to the Sistine Chapel, and were disappointed to learn that it had just closed for the day. :o( Much disappointment! We knew we couldn't leave Rome without seeing it, so we agreed to come back the next day.
So, back to our bus, and back to more sights!! Our next stop was the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. We stopped at a vendor outside for an afternoon snack, and Dave wanted me to tell you that he had the very best pistachio gelato there that he's ever had. I have to tell you that I had a lovely frozen Coke! It had little ice chunks in it, and everything! Life is good!
Into the Colosseum. This time we bought tickets at a secret outside booth (the Palatino), and strolled casually past the huge line! Yay!
(photo deleted)
Again, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the longevity of these structures! Construction started in 70AD. I know the history of this place isn't very humane, but it always amazes me that for thousands of years, these places have remained standing! Some of the columns have toppled (I'm glad I wasn't there for that!), but it's still amazing! (photo deleted)I plan to read more about it when we get home.
(photo deleted)
So, we finished there, and caught the bus back to our hotel for a fun, and crazy night of laundry and Internet and dinner!! Woo Hoo! We sure know how to live!
As they say, "When in Rome..."
OK, I have clearly been the utmost slacker friend, and have not kept up on the blog. But since Mike is locked in his office at the computer, and I am strangely UNglued from the TV, I have some time to log on. I caught up on ALL your previous posts, since the beginning, and I am SO impressed. Not only does Italy sound most fab, but I am awed by your dedication to this endeavor. I, in contrast, barely remember to take pictures at Easter with the nieces. Perhaps when Mike and I finally get engaged you can advise me on keeping a blog of the wedding prep. HA! Why do I think there will be time for that?
ReplyDeleteMuch love from across the seas.
-Ang