Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Guess She Was Still Hungry??

For Mookie's afternoon snack today, I peeled and cubed a pear and she thoroughly enjoyed it. The girl would be a fruitarian if I would only let her! Canteloupe? Snarfs it down. Honeydew? She resembles a chipmunk filling her little cheeks. Watermelon? Shoves so much in her gob that she nearly chokes! Today's pear was so scrumptious that she had juice running down her little chin. Now, I'll be honest here, I love it when I'm eating a pear so good the juice runs down my chin, too, so I guess she gets that from me. :o)

(Side note: I LOVE that my child loves fruit as much as she does. I just wish it had more protein, and good fat, and good calories.)

But today? Apparently one large d'anjou pear was not enough for her. She was playing after she devoured her snack, and, as you all know, silence from a toddler is never a good thing. I knew she was in or near the kitchen (I was at my laptop on the other side of the breakfast bar reading Megan's blog), so I peeked around the corner (thinking "I should get my camera ready" but not actually doing it!), and I found my child with the lid of the trash can open, and a handful of pear peelings in one hand and the other hand holding the core of the pear in her mouth! Gobble gobble gobbling around the parts I didn't cut off! She looked up at me so innocently that I could only laugh.

Laugh and vow to finally make a purchase that I've been wanting to make for some time, but couldn't really justify.  Until today. I've been wanting a stainless steel trash can for the kitchen. Mostly because I think they look nice, but also because I think hope they are more secure than the little white plastic one we're using now. Plus, our kitchen is sooo stinkin tiny that I cannot justify sacrificing precious cabinet space for rubbish. So I wanted a bin that was (a) attractive, and (b) secure.

And the one we've been using met both of those criteria.
Until today.

Until my admittedly scrawny child went rummaging through the trash in search of the sweet-smelling, mushy-gushy pear-peelings I had cast off thinking the "meat" of the pear was enough for her. :o)

But I guess she was still hungry. :o)

2 comments:

  1. (Giggle) You two are quite a pear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever mix her fruit with yogurt? Full fat yogurt would give her at least some fruity protein? My son ate a bug the other day. Yep, a bug. I was HORRIFIED. Trash is nothing!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete