In honor of International Babywearing Week, I thought I'd share a few pictures of how Mookie gets around these days.

I have two, well, okay, three ways to "wear" Mookie. Contrary to what many believe, babywearing is not a new thing. It's been going on for, well, ever. Think papoose. Those mamas wore their babies. I think it's just that more people are doing it these days, and the means by which to wear our babies? Well...tres chic is all I need to say. I get compliments all the time about how happy she looks, how pretty the pouch is, etc. And I just don't know what to say when women say "Wow. They didn't have those when I was having my babies." Because, yeah, they did. It just wasn't as common (or as fashionable) is it is nowadays. There's also been an oodle of positive research done in the last few decades showing the advantages of wearing your baby. Ooodles of it. Babywearing is good stuff, Maynard.
One of my carriers is the common harness-strap-buckle style (similar to the Baby Bjorn, but mine is Eddie Bauer brand). It's good, and I used it a lot when we were travelling in July and August, but I'm pretty much over it now. It was good when she was facing in, but I don't like it now that she wants to face out. She's too flopsy in it. It doesn't hold her shoulders well, and I'm always afraid she's going to fall out. Soooo...that's no good for when I need to get stuff done, but she's demanding that Mama hold her.
The second I've had since she was about a month old. I've referred to it here before, but never graced you with a picture. It's called a "pouch sling" and this one is made by Peanut Shell. When Mookie was smaller, I would put her in it sideways (in a "cradle" hold) where she could look out, but the sling was supporting her entire body. Once she hit 4 months, though, and was able to hold her head up well, I transitioned her to the "lotus" hold. Here's a picture of her in it. If you look closely, it looks like I've just got a baby's head and arm in the pouch, but I assure you, her entire body is in there, all "lotused" up. :o) Her feet are actually about an inch from the bottom of her chin. And she is comfy as an old sofa in this. (Again, as long as Nosy Rosy can see out, she is happy). This is no longer my favorite as she is gaining more and more weight (yay!), and that weight is borne on only one shoulder. This is fine if I'm sitting down, but if I'm walking or standing, it gets achey after about an hour. I'm gonna keep it, though, because it rolls up snug and fits in my diaper bag really well. It's great to have in emergencies (like, when she's screaming bloody murder in Target, ahem). And as she gets older and bigger, there are other ways I can hold her in it. It is, again, tres chic, no?
And the third carrier is a new acquisition. It's called a Moby wrap, and I really love it. I'd seen them before, and knew people that had them, but I was seriously intimidated by them. Where my sling is just one loop of fabric that I put over one shoulder, the Moby is one loooooong (about 6 yards) strip of knit fabric that you have to wrap, wrap, wrap around yourself. I recently had the chance to try Mookie in one, though, and both of us thought it was Da Bomb. There are quite a few ways to hold her in it, so it's very flexible and convenient. I can put her on my back, or facing me, or in the "cradle" hold again if she's sleepy. Mucho possibilities. And, bonus, her weight is borne on both of my shoulders and my back. Yippee!! She loves it, of course, because in the "Joey" position, Nosy Rosy can see everything. AND I get so many compliments.
Tuesday, we went to the mall as a family, and while Dave was in Sears, Mookie and I went to Jo-Anns. We caught every eye, and garnered every smile to be had. She LOVES her Moby, and loves herself in it -- which is clearly evidenced by the miles of smiles she wears.
I never thought I'd be as frequent of a babywearer as I am, but I've learned a LOT about the different styles of soft carriers over at Adventures in Babywearing where Steph encourages every mom and dad to wear their babies. She's got 4 children, and has a vast array of slings, pouches, and wraps. She shows how beautiful it is to wear your baby. I've even learned that it's quite en vogue for little girls to "wear" their dolls in slings! :o) How cute! Nonny and Boo has "hatchling slings" for the little girls. :o) I see a Mama-Baby fashion statement coming in a few years! :o)
Happy Babywearing Week, everyone!



That was very helpful to me! Thank you! How much does the Mookalottayumyum weigh these days, anyway?
ReplyDeleteI haven't taken her to be officially weighed in a few weeks, but I'm guessing about 13 and some change. She is, by no means, a butterball, but she is getting bigger and I'd rather distribute her cuteness over both shoulders.
ReplyDeleteBut, speaking of butterballs, she had a pleasantly round tummy the other night. :o) Makes a mama proud!
you've inspired me... maybe today we'll moby it
ReplyDelete