8 Years, one month, and two days. That's how long I've been a married girl.
We took a week-long honeymoon to Ecuador (cool, I know!), then returned to "our" home in Atlanta, and Dave woke up the next morning and returned to his home in Ohio. Over the next three months we saw each other only three or four times. Then he finished his job there, and moved to Atlanta to begin his tail-whoopin' Masters degree at Georgia Tech.
The next summer, he spent in Albuquerque doing research, while I stayed in Atlanta. I went out for 3 weeks, but he was gone for 3 months.
Then we actually lived together, like married folks, for the next 4 years.
Which brings me to September 2004. He drove away one Monday afternoon, towards Baltimore, where he would eventually board a plane to England. I would board a similar plane a month later. That was a busy month apart for both of us as he was beginning his char-grillin' PhD program and I was wrapping things up in Colorado Springs (and waiting for the "Pet Transport Scheme" timeline to complete so I could take our 2 cats and 1 dog to England without quarantine).
Together again, until May 2006, and we made another jaunt to Albuquerque for more research. We spent another month apart then. It was broken up because I went back to the States for a little bit, too, but it was a total month apart.
Flash forward to September 29, 2007. This time I was the first to leave, and come back to America early. A whole month early. To leave Dave alone so he could finish up some of his work un-interrupted by a wifey. :o)
That's about 9 months in our 8 years that we've been apart. I know lots more folks spend time apart. Dave has, thankfully, never been deployed. He doesn't have the kind of job that takes him away for 6 months every year, or even for regular periods throughout the year. He really doesn't travel to conferences, much. So, mostly, I've got nothing to complain about, right?
But he's here now! I picked him up at the airport last night. And he's here now. We're on the same side of the planet -- hopefully for good this time! I know he'll have to go back to England a couple of times in the next 6 months, but that's okay because he's not going to be gone for weeks and/or months at a time. :o) Only days.
My reasoning for telling you about all the times we've been "separated" is for pity, and sympathy. :o) No, it's just that, to me, remembering the times apart makes the reunion that much sweeter. It helps me appreciate the time that much more.
The relaxed reunion stops on Monday morning, though, when we load up the car and start driving to LA. But we travel well together, so it will be fine.
Hope you all have a great Halloween week!
No comments:
Post a Comment