Well, here I am at the end of Day One. The first day I didn't have another adult helping me with the two girls since we came home from the hospital. And I'm wondering how, exactly, I spent my day. I cannot believe how much harder it is to sit down at the computer now that I have two little ones. I guess when Mookie was born, if she was asleep between feedings, I could just put her in the Moses basket and fire up the old laptop and blog away. Now, however, that's just not the case!
First of all, especially right now, I'm trying to be extra intentional about the time I spend with Mookie. If Sprout is asleep and I don't have her in my arms (or at my breast), then I'm playing with Mookie. If Mookie and Sprout are both asleep at the same time (which was approximately 9 minutes this afternoon. woo.), then I'm trying to sleep, too. And at night, well, Sprout is still confused about day and night, so she's awake for at least an hour or more after each feeding. So that leaves me somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes to do anything in the evenings after Mookie has gone to bed. To include writing thank you notes for the bountiful blessing of gifts we received for Sprout, and for the similarly bountiful blessing of gifts Mookie received for her second birthday. To include feeding myself or my husband (who has become quite adept at reheating leftovers for himself!). And to include washing any dishes (or clothes) I might want to use again in the next year...because that's very likely how long it will be before I figure this out!
And like I said before, I can check my email and facebook and favorite blogs from my iPhone while I'm nursing Sprout, so the "necessity" of using a laptop is eased by the phone. I have learned, however, that I am not very capable of typing (or doing anything, really) on the laptop while I'm nursing. It's hard for me to even surf the web! I guess I'm just not multi-talented in that way.
I feel like it's all an excuse, though, as to why I haven't been blogging. I know you all understand - some of you better than others. And you all forgive me, I hope, for not telling you stories of how wonderful my life is, and how incredibly adorable my 2 year old is (I could just eat her up, she's so cute!), and for not posting a million photos (even though I've been taking them) or posting minute after minute of precious video footage of Mookie being her scrumptious self.
I've tried to be very deliberate and take pictures of Sprout every day, and as of today, they've all been downloaded to my computer, I just need to go through them and start posting some!
Today, for instance, Sprout spent the vast majority of her day in one of two ways: screaming in Mama's arms, or sacked out in the Moby. She didn't want to have anything to do with giving Mama a break and sleeping on her own. (sigh). She is currently rocking a wicked case of baby acne. It's like war paint on her chubbly cheeks or something! I don't really like having a bunch of pictures of her like this because I don't think it's a good reflection of how beautiful and perfect she is! And I don't have the time to edit them to make it look like she's got perfect skin. It is what it is, and it's perfectly normal, I just don't like broadcasting it all over the planet! And you don't even need to tell me that the acne doesn't look that horrible in this photo. I see that now, but it doesn't look too pretty in real life. :o)
Mookie loves to stand on her stool and wash her hands, or wash her face, or just ham it up in the mirror (Hello, Narcissus!) And you can see Sprout's little hat-covered head. Oh, how I love the Moby. Love it, love it, love it. Every new mother should be issued one of these when they leave the hospital.
And that's my update from Day One. We survived, obviously. But not without help from our neighbors! We've been VERY INCREDIBLY blessed to have neighbors and friends bringing us dinner every other day since we came home from the hospital. And some of the braver ones even offer to take Mookie away for an hour, or two, just to give me a break. :o) I always take them up on it because I know they'll be bringing her back. She's a typical 2 year old, after all!
And with that, I will bid you adieu, and hope it's not another 2 weeks before I make it back here again. I do have cute pictures of Sprout that I want to show you. It's just that they are buried in the 5,392 photos I've taken in the last month!


I totally understand, Melissa. You are doing fabulously and have your energies focused squarely where they belong. That I long to see more pics of your two beautiful girlies should not be pressurey to you because I know you are busy and already up to your neck in pressure. I am thinking of all of you and wishing you sweet days full of snuggles and cheek kisses. So glad you got DAY ONE behind you and you're pleased with how it went (as far as you can remember, which I remember about my early days, too!)
ReplyDeleteIt will get easier. And then harder. And easier again. Never-ever take on too much - less is more, always! Keep taking advantage of the friendship and support you are getting from those lovely neighbors and give yourself plenty, plenty of room to EMOTE when you can.
I didn't have an iPhone when Pbod was a baby but might I suggest, if you want to work out your thoughts while you nurse, or even make shopping lists, or WHATEVER, that you try the voice recorder on your phone to "jot" things down hands free? That would've been a lifesaver for me!
Love, love, love to ALL of you, Melissa. Wish I were there to be one of the lucky ones who gets to tangibly support you through this lovely, lovely, wild time.
xxoxoxo